Withering Grass and Eternal Words

Isaiah 40:6,8

All people are grass, their constancy is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand forever.

Mark 13:31

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

IMG_4123

My 92-year-old mother at the dining table at The Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

It got a phone call last night at 1:19 AM. My mother had fallen again and this time hit her head. Don’t know how that happened, but I do know her falls are becoming more frequent, and this time more serious. She had hit her head and was acting a bit strange. So, I’m not certain what will happen today, or the next few days. But I’m certain we are seeing up close and personal that “all people are grass.” Grass withers. Human life does not go on in this world forever. At nearly 93 years of age we are facing that reality “up close and personal.”

After that phone call, I couldn’t sleep. I wasn’t worried per se, but I was troubled. I had just seen her the day before last, and realized she was getting more frail and feeble. And I couldn’t put my prayers so eloquently as my sister expressed to me how she was praying, “That the good Lord will take her home if it is time.” That seems so appropriate to me. I tried to form the words for a prayer that expressed that sentiment, but couldn’t find them. So I did what I often do when I can’t sleep in the middle of the night: I prayed the Lord’s Prayer. Several (but not many) times. I prayed for about an hour before I finally fell asleep.

Grass withers. Flowers fade. But the Word of the Lord stands forever. That is why I can pray such a prayer, and why I pray the Lord’s Prayer. God has promised in his Word that our sins are forgiven, that Jesus Christ has overcome the sharpness of death, and delivered us from the realm and rule of the devil to the rule and reign of God – a gracious, life-giving, glorious, joyful rule and reign under his love.

So it goes. We will see today what my mom’s situation is. That is an ever-changing reality. But the words and promises of God are eternal. Thanks be to God for his grace and truth, and the glorious gift of Jesus!

13 comments
  1. Chuck & Lori Ronnenkamp said:

Our prayers are with you &. your Mom.

• Thanks Lori.

2. Celeste May said:

ECC staff is praying for your mom as well.

• Thanks Celeste & ECC Staff!

3. Lori Stube said:

Praying for your mother as well David!

• Thanks Lori. Good to hear from you.

• Lori Stube said:

You have my continued prayers for your mom! —- My mother will be 92 this year on Sept. 27th, she however is doing very well and still drives her car around St George, Ut! I would love it if you could pray for my mother, Pearl Maurer, for continued blessings in her life! — So great to be back in contact with you! God’s richest blessings on your ministry!

4. Latest update: She has a cut in the area around her eye with 5 or 6 stitches. She says she’s not in pain. We’re hoping that she will be able to go back to the Lutheran Home soon.

• Casey Pace said:

Glad to hear she isn’t in pain. My thoughts and prayers for all of you Pastor.

• Thanks Casey. Seems she’s doing better. Tomorrow will tell us more.

5. Beverly Grace said:

That’s a great picture of a beautiful lady. We will pray for fast healing of her wound. You reminded me of when flood waters rushed into our bedroom during tropical storm Alicia and lying there saying the Lord’s Prayer over and over – the only means of comfort that night.

6. Martha Warnasch said:

And that we are assured that Jesus intercedes on our behalf. To me it means that when I don’t know how to pray or words don’t come, that Jesus does and presents a perfect prayer to the Father. May the Lord strengthen you and grant you His Peace.

• Thanks Martha. You have said it well. I have great peace in Him.